[CT Birds] Swan Pond Swans

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Sat Sep 6 18:20:41 EDT 2014

This morning I briefly watched the three juvenile swans in the aptly named
Swan Pond at Hammonasset Beach SP. The young were jostling over in the west
corner. One of the adults pushed through them, and then began a foot-aided
sprint across the pond with wings beating as though preparing for flight.
Immediately, the juveniles followed doing likewise, though closely crowded
and wings flapping clumsily. The four stopped when the got over to the
grassy area by the pulloff. I interpreted this as a parent conducting a
takeoff lesson.

Russ Smiley

Marlborough, CT