[CT Birds] Frenzy in the yard

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 08:51:44 EDT 2014

For a couple of weeks now I've had a flock of 20 or more  Chipping Sparrows
in my yard, mostly immature. And unfortunately I still have  about 30 House
Sparrows, and because of them I'm not even filling my feeders  right now.
Even so, they're all over the place. The Chippies in particular are  quite
tame and usually don't even look up when I come out of the house. But
yesterday when I walked onto my enclosed front porch I saw sparrows scattering  in
every direction. A lot of them landed across the street in the grass, but
when I went out, suddenly everything took off again. I thought it was  really
odd that I could spook them like that.
I was in the car, about to pull away when something dark and  fast went
screaming across my yard and into the edge of the woods across the  street, and
there was a flurry of birds going in all directions again. I was  hoping it
was a Merlin (would have been a yard bird), but I finally found a  juvenile
male Coop sitting in a tree in nice fresh plumage. Still a nice  sight up
fairly close.

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com