[CT Birds] Red-breasted Nuthatches

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Sep 14 12:14:26 EDT 2014

9/14/14, in Orange, at the Maltby Lakes RWA property: at least 12
Red-breasted Nuthatches.  I found a pair here in June on the summer bird
count, but the widespread abundance of this species here today suggests that
these birds are early arriving migrants.  The early arrival of RB Nuthatches
usually portends a good winter finch irruption year.  It will be interesting
to review the annual report of the cone crop in the Canadian boreal forest
(I believe it will be posted next month) to see if this will be a good year
for winter finches.

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge