[CT Birds] Hummingbirds and Orioles

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 9 11:00:44 EDT 2014

After hearing all the comments on hummingbirds I thought I'd chime in.  Here in our Hamden yard we still have them and at times 3 or more at once on our several feeders and trumpet vine etc.  No adult males in the last week. Likely different birds every few days as they pass through.  Lots of customers coming into the shop have had and are still having a good year for hummers.

This summer has also been a good one for orioles but as usual the numbers of them drops off a cliff during the first week of September as it does every year like clockwork.  We have been hosting easily more than 20 orioles at our orange and jelly feeders all summer.  We kept track sort of this year and went through 47 quarts of grape jelly and I'm sure we missed marking a few down with many days going through a full quart!  Only seeing one bird out there now.

Still some Rose-breasted Grosbeaks coming to the safflower but they too are tapering off.  Now hoping for a Pine Siskin year!

Jim and Carol Zipp

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
www.fatrobin.com 203-248-7068