[CT Birds] Exciting Band Return Report from Birdcraft

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:31:15 EDT 2014

We had some excitement this morning (midst all the baby Robins we were
banding) when we received a report of one of our bands having been found
and reported to the Bird Banding Lab, a department of the USF&WS.  The band
had been found on a Herring Gull (presumably dead) in Southport on August
16, 2014.  This bird had been banded as a nestling on Chimon Island, July
14, 1988 (!) by Miley Bull, Carl Trichka and Pete Marra.  This 26 year old
bird comes close to the record oldest Herring Gull which is 28 years old,
according to *Birds of the World*, (Marshall Cavendish Corporation,
Tarrytown, NY, 2009).

Connecticut Audubon Birdcraft Museum is located at 314 Unquowa Road,

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut