[CT Birds] Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in CT

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:24:57 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Given the recent rash of "I'm still seeing hummingbirds" posts on CTBirds,
I wanted to point out that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are fairly common in
our region through the end of the month and into early October.

A check of the eBird bar chart confirms this.

Here is an attempt to copy and paste the long link to the bar chart in
question. Hopefully it works! If it does, simply scroll down to the
hummingbirds and you'll see their abundance really tail off during October,
from fairly common in the first quarter of the month to all but gone by the
last quarter.

If that link did not work, go to ebird.org, click on "Explore Data," then
"Bar Charts", then choose Connecticut in the list of states and select the
"Entire Region" bullet as your subregion. Click "Continue" and you will see
bar charts (based on eBird data only) for all of Connecticut's birds
throughout the year! This is a really cool feature that can be used on all
different scales.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT