[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawk Watch 9/12 - 182 raptors

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Sep 12 19:17:55 EDT 2014

We had a decent day at the Boothe Park Hawk Watch, considering the deep
blue sky in control, as Tom Murray, Bill Banks, Frank Mantlik, a bit of
Steve Mayo and I plus some great guests tallied 182 migrant raptors
filling in the 9:30-4:30 timeframe. We had well over 10 local Bald
Eagle, 5 BLACK VULTURE and 1 PEREGRINE FALCON along with good numbers of
Osprey, Turkey Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk and so forth. The BAEA provided
a great show for much of the day.

We had 11 migrant Ruby-throated Hummingbird and 26 migrant Chimney
Swift. There were thousands of Common Green Darners moving plus dozens
of Black Saddlebags and a few Wandering and Spot-winged Gliders. I saw a
grand total of 1 Monarch heading south.

Migrant raptors:
Turkey Vulture 1
Osprey 28
Bald Eagle 20
Northern Harrier 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 30
Cooper's Hawk 5
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 73
Red-tailed Hawk 3
American Kestrel 13
Merlin 3
Unidentified accipiter 1
Unidentified raptor 3

Even with the sky it seems like the Broads need a little more time to
make it down our way. We're a few days ahead of the peak and the weather
has been uncooperative. Hopefully even on Sunday, after the passage of a
weak frontal system and a briefly well positioned high giving us NW
winds, we will have a good day of raptor movement. More clouds, please.
See you then?

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street