[CT Birds] Answer to the great "gear down" mystery?

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Sep 13 21:04:29 EDT 2014

At Lightouse Point we often see raptors flying with their legs  dangling
instead of tucked against their bodies, and we always wonder why.  Yesterday,
with a bit of serendipity I may have solved the puzzle. Please don't  open
this link if you consider yourself particularly "sensitive". This is not
meant to offend anyone, and I do believe it is, at least at times, the  answer.
 There are 4 consecutive images, all taken in less than a  second.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com