[CT Birds] Sunday at Milford Point

Jerilyn Duefrene kaymad143 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 07:50:58 EDT 2014

Good morning,

My computer at home is sick so I didn't get to send this last night...

I was at the Milford Coastal Audubon Center yesterday from 12:30 - 3:00 and
saw the following on the sandbar:
Several Palmated Sandpipers
Palmated Plovers (4)
Piping Polvers (just 2 or 3 of them)
Black Bellied Plover (2)
Western Willets (2 adults) with 2 what I think were juvenile Willets (still
trying to figure that out)

I also saw some White Winged Scoters but there was one in particular that
worried me. I will just call say it was a female (not 100% sure) but she
was sitting in one place and didn't move when I got closer (I stayed a safe
distance), she opened her mouth to make a noise and nothing came out but
she didn't move. I continued walking and was out on the point for a while
and upon my return to that area, she was still sitting there and actually
looked like she was sleeping. I took some pictures but cannot attach them
here from my work computer. I was just worried about her and am wondering
if anyone else saw her and if there is someone to call that would check her
out.

I am still fairly new to this birding thing  and am working on identifying
shore birds and I have to say, this is tough! I had no idea how many
different types of shorebirds!

I appreciate seeing this list.

Jeri Duefrene
Niantic, CT