[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Hawk watch

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 13:31:31 EDT 2014

Our daughter lives near Montpelier, VT and reported a hard frost last night (Sunday). More impetus for the birds to move south.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:51:22 -0400
From: Ryan Maclean <ryanmac335 at gmail.com>
To: "ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: [CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch 9/14: 1,	132 Raptors (933
	Broad-Wings)

First substantial push of Broad-Wings today at Audubon Greenwich with
nearly a thousand tallied and kettles containing up to 106 birds. 600 BWs
were tallied between 4-6 PM alone. Tomorrow's forecast of light WNW winds
could bring with it another large push of hawks and many sites to our north
counted large numbers of BWs that will likely be heading our way. If I were
you I'd come out here tomorrow.

*Quaker Ridge Greenwich, Connecticut, USA Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 14, 2014
Day's Count Month Total Season Total ------------------ -----------
-------------- -------------- Black Vulture 3 3 3 Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 27 144 198 Bald Eagle 15 41 55 Northern Harrier 6 11 12
Sharp-shinned Hawk 115 182 185 Cooper's Hawk 9 15 15 Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 1 2 Broad-winged Hawk 933 1035 1082 Red-tailed Hawk 0
1 1 Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0 Golden Eagle 0 0 0 American Kestrel 16 53 63
Merlin 3 13 13 Peregrine Falcon 0 1 1 Unknown Accipiter 1 2 2 Unknown Buteo
0 0 0 Unknown Falcon 1 2 2 Unknown Eagle 0 0 0 Unknown Raptor 3 9 15 Total:
1132 1513 1649