[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park Observation

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Tue Sep 16 07:13:53 EDT 2014

Don and Roy,

One of the lists I (casually) add to is a list of those bird species I see defecating, but only during my observations through binoculars or spotting scope.  (No arm chair psychologists, please.)  A very memorable observation I made at the Lighthouse Hawk Watch several years ago was of a peregrine high in the sky jettisoning in the same fashion as you captured so nicely on film with the osprey.  I've seen peregrines defecating (perched and in the air) innumerable times during 16 years of nesting peregrine studies, but the Lighthouse experience was unique - blue sky, strong sunlight, silver showers.  We're talking life history strategies here, and this is a part of avian life.

Steve Broker
Cheshire