[CT Birds] Crow harassment and devoured red-shouldered hawk

Harold Moritz fritzandsheila at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:33:38 EDT 2014

Just looking for some thoughts regarding an incident my friend in Windham
center reported to me last week.
In a large pine a bunch of crows were loudly harassing something unseen.
Nearby a red-shouldered hawk was also vocalizing. Eventually they
dispersed, but the object of displeasure was never seen. The next morning
he found the wings of a red-shouldered hawk in the lawn, the rest had been
eaten. He also found the entrails of a rabbit.  So he wondered if the
action and the remains were connected. I said that I read that crows and
great-horned owls do not get along, to put it mildly, but did not know if a
nocturnal GHO would devour a diurnal red-shouldered hawk (certainly the
rabbit though). He has heard barred owls there (not that day), but never
great-horned. Perhaps one of the latter was migrating though and roosting
in the pine.  In any case, any insight appreciated.
Thanks
Harold Moritz