[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch 9/17: 704 Raptors, 140 Nighthawks

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:08:25 EDT 2014

Not the epic Broad-Winged push we hoped for at Audubon Greenwich today, but
a steady flow of hawks which included a mini-spurt of 303 Broad-Wings
between 4-5 PM. A Cooper's Hawk pursued a Goldfinch right past our heads
but from what we could tell the hawk went hungry. Besides hawks, the
abnormally late Nighthawk push continues with 140 being tallied throughout
the day. It'll be interesting to see how long this lasts.

Conditions will remain the same as today into tomorrow so while we're not
getting our hopes up too much for a major flight we expect birds tomorrow.

*Quaker Ridge Greenwich, Connecticut, USA Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 17, 2014
Day's Count Month Total Season Total ------------------ -----------
-------------- -------------- Black Vulture 1 4 4 Turkey Vulture 2 2 2
Osprey 23 193 247 Bald Eagle 9 69 83 Northern Harrier 2 21 22 Sharp-shinned
Hawk 141 565 568 Cooper's Hawk 12 45 45 Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 6 7 Broad-winged Hawk 488 2795 2842 Red-tailed Hawk 1
2 2 Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0 Golden Eagle 0 0 0 American Kestrel 11 104 114
Merlin 3 17 17 Peregrine Falcon 0 1 1 Unknown Accipiter 1 3 3 Unknown Buteo
1 1 1 Unknown Falcon 2 4 4 Unknown Eagle 0 0 0 Unknown Raptor 6 32 38
Total: 704 3864 4000