[CT Birds] Ebird report for Lighthouse Point Hawkwatch, 9-18-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Sep 19 18:27:07 EDT 2014

75 Lake Road, Coventry, Ct, Tolland, US-CT
Sep 18, 2014 6:45 AM - 4:15  PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     NOT a complete count.  Only birds in report submitted to
Hawkcount Included. Also, 7 unidentified  accipiters and 2 unidentified raptors
12 species

Turkey Vulture   1
Osprey  27
Northern Harrier  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk   50
Cooper's Hawk  7
Northern Goshawk  3     1  Juvenile (link to pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozxvtspspsgs7bz/AAA7eAD_tkL8_yET_GjaMZWga?dl=0             )
2 Adults, both very high but not far out and against cloud banks. Both seen
 well, 1st by me, 2nd by me plus Howie Sternberg. Very large birds, almost
all  gray except tails appeared darker; exceptionally broad tails from base
to tip  (not fanned). Birds came through on same track (north of field "over
the  humps"), about and hour apart, around 1:30 and 2:30. 1st adults I've
seen at  LHP
Bald Eagle  10
Broad-winged Hawk  11
Common  Nighthawk  3     Hawking insects around the field most of  the day.
Always 3 together
American Kestrel  26
Peregrine  Falcon  5
Cedar Waxwing  350     Migrating, in  flocks of up to 30

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com