[CT Birds] Bluff Point 9/19

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 19 20:09:53 EDT 2014

Rodolfo,
No. The "Hot Corner" at Bluff Point State Park is as follows:  From Fort Hill Rd. (Rt 1) in Groton, go south on Depot Rd. Continue on this until the road goes under the Amtrak RR underpass. The Poquonock River will be on your right. Park immediately on the left and walk a short way up the dirt driveway. This extreme NW corner of the state park forest is where you want to stand at dawn for the first 2 hours of the day in autumn, when the winds overnight have been from the north or northwest.  Small passerines which migrate at night such as warblers, vireos, tanagers, orioles, thrushes, sparrows, etc. perform "redirectional flight" or "morning flight", flying out of these woods and nw over the RR tracks. On a good morning, hundreds or thousands of migrant birds can be seen, though they can be frustratingly difficult to identify in flight. Sometimes a fair number can stop briefly in those trees and shrubs before continuing on.
Many years ago, veteran birder Dave Provencher discovered and documented this phenomenon here, and dubbed it "the hot corner".

Other famous sites in the northeast where this phenomenon occurs are: Higbee Beach in Cape May, NJ; Cousins Island in Yarmouth, ME; Horseneck Beach in Westport, MA.
I hope this helps.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford