[CT Birds] Hop Brook migration

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 11:42:05 EDT 2014

>From Greg Hanisek

9-18 - Naugatuck, Hop Brook L. - 12 species of warblers and very active migration overall even though I didn't get there until 8 am.; especially conspicuous were N. Flickers and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

Hop Brook Lake is a federal flood control property (not a state park) and operates as a recreation area open to the public with picnic areas and a beach. There's an entrance fee in summer. There is no fee now but cars must park at the entrance for entry on foot. This can be a very birdy place (I find fall migration especially good for land birds; the lake has never been very productive for waterbirds). There's a nice mixture of woods, scrub, lawns and a stream corridor that offer good edge habitat throughout. Easy walking on flat terrain.