[CT Birds] birds and football

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 11:48:23 EDT 2014

Anyone who watches football knows there's a time-honored strategy for dealing with a fast pass rusher - run the ball right at him. At Hop Brook Lake this morning I saw the avian equivalent. As birds started squawking and scattering in all directions I saw not surprised to see a Merlin barreling overhead. I was very surprised to see a mid-sized passerine (all too quick for an ID) turn and fly right at the Merlin, which apparently had no time to do anything but dodge the hurtling missile. That was all the smaller bird needed to keep going safely right into a treetop. Effective this time but probably not recommended.

Greg Hanisek