[CT Birds] Heartbroken

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 26 17:42:26 EDT 2014

I am so sad....every year a big flock of immature cedar waxwings descends on my junipers and today was the day. I heard a loud bang and found that one of them had hit my front door. It was killed on impact. I have never protected this door from bird hits because since I moved in in 1994 no bird has ever hit it. Most of my birds feed in the back at my feeders, away from the junipers. The door has very  little glass in it but I guess it was enough. I held its lovely body and was amazed at how small and light it was. I have held birds before and always experience the same surprise at how different they seem in hand. I have now taken steps to protect the front door. When I think of how much effort went into raising this creature to this point, and that it will not get to reproduce,  I feel terribly guilty.

I am so sorry, little bird.

Zellene