[CT Birds] Southbury Sparrow-dise

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Sep 23 10:05:52 EDT 2014

I drove by Mitchell Farm (where the Mew/Common Gull was this winter) the other day and was quite impressed with the habitat.  They are growing tomatoes and pumpkins near the road and it is quite weedy, with lots of foxtail grass and other seed forage available.  I stopped by on the way to work today and sure enough was not disappointed. Nothing too rare yet, but this place will hold some treasure this fall.  Today's highlight was a flock of 20 or so Bobolink along with several Savannah, Swamp, Chipping and Song Sparrows.   I can't wait until the Dickcissel, Blue Grosbeak, Clay-colored or Lark Sparrow shows up!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road