[CT Birds] West Nile virus

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Sep 29 08:07:56 EDT 2014

When discussing something as serious as this it is worth the time to get the full picture.

This is from the Center for Disease Control web site, http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/.

"West Nile virus (WNV) is most commonly transmitted to humans by mosquitoes. You can reduce your risk of being infected with WNV by using insect repellent and wearing protective clothing to prevent mosquito bites. There are no medications to treat or vaccines to prevent WNV infection. Fortunately, most people infected with WNV will have no symptoms. About 1 in 5 people who are infected will develop a fever with other symptoms. Less than 1% of infected people develop a serious,  sometimes fatal, neurologic illness."

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT