[CT Birds] Bluff Point - YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT

Timothy L Thompson tthompso at gdeb.com
Mon Sep 29 09:46:56 EDT 2014

Bluff Point - Groton - 6:30am to 8:10am, 09-29-14 - Started just south of
the Amtrak railroad overpass ("hot corner") and took the loop south.
Highlight being YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT seen on the left side of the return
loop about fifty paces south of the 3ft dia concrete drainage pipe that is
visible on the trail.  The bird was seen as I was facing west looking into
a very dense and viney thicket.  If you were standing there you could look
left (south) and see the park sign through a visual tunnel.  As you turn
to your right, you would see the concrete drainage pipe anchoring the left
side of the trail looking north.  I saw movement on the left top side of a
berry bush and the YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT popped up and on top for a very
good look before disappearing into the lower thicket.  Also seen were
SCARLET TANAGER, EASTERN TOWHEE, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, RED-EYED VIREO,
EASTERN PHOEBE, and the usual suspects.  Otherwise, a quiet morning (as
expected) but a delightful early morning walk.

Timothy L. Thompson
Norwich, CT