[CT Birds] LHP 9-29-14

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 19:42:30 EDT 2014

>From Greg Hanisek

9-29 New Haven, Lighthouse Point hawk watch - An odd day, overcast with N winds until c 1 p.m., but very light and unsustained. SE thereafter. Nonetheless we got 123 birds, 91 of them from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nice Osprey movement with 58. Other double-digit counts were Am Kestrel - 21; Sharp-shinned Hawk - 18; and N Harrier - 11.

Also on the move were: 1 C, Loon, 4 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS, 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird; 1 Yellow-bellied sapsucker, 165 Cedar Waxwings, 2 AMERICAN PIPITS, 30 Bobolinks, 7 PURPLE FINCHES, 1 PINE SISKIN. There was also a good Blue Jay movement, but the unsettled weather resulted in a lot of milling around, and I couldn't really get a handle on numbers. We had up to 70 in the air at one time.

Thanks for help from: Bill Banks, Sara Zagorski, Louisa Cunningham, Paul Chashman and a few other.