[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point hawkwatch, 9-28-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 20:07:27 EDT 2014

I subbed for Steve Mayo on a very slow, though beautiful  Sunday.  Almost
non-existent winds and clouds in the morning and  a switch to  light SSW
winds just before noon. Total of 67 raptors counted.  23  Sharp-shinned hawks
and 19 American Kestrels led the way. Single digits  of everything else. 1 of
3 Northern Harriers was an adult male  "gray  ghost".
Notable movements of  300 Bluejays and 200 RW Blackbirds,  most I've seen
so far this year. Also, 98 Canada Geese and 3 Great  Egrets. 1 large flock of
DC Cormorants.
Howie Sternberg was invaluable help and finished up the day for  me as I
wasn't feeling well all weekend. Also, help from several others during  the
day, We made lots of new friends with the folks at the Alzheimers Walk.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com