[CT Birds] Southbury area

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Sep 30 11:06:23 EDT 2014

I heard a Pine Siskin flying over at the Bent this morning and there were three Purple Finches at the feeders.   I stopped  by Mitchell Farm (River Road and Purchase Brook, where the Mew/Common Gull was).  Nothing too outstanding, other than the 100+ Savannah Sparrows, a Bobolink and lots of Palm Warblers, but that place sure has potential.   The other day a freshly plowed field held a flock of about 20 American Pipits there.

I stopped in to the farm stand and bought a gorgeous pumpkin and was able to get permission to walk around in the weedy field next to the farm stand.  This will yield some good birds.   If you do stop by there, please consider stopping in, complementing them on their great bird habitat, letting them know that's what brought you there and buying something.  Good to let them know that good bird habitat can bring them some business.   If you ask, I bet they'd let you wander around in the weedy tomato patch.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road