[CT Birds] late nesters this season

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 13:02:26 EDT 2014

I've probably stated before that this was the best year for Ct  nesting
birds in my area (NE corner) That I've ever seen.  In the Boston  Hollow/Yale
forest area in the Ashford/Eastford/Union area I'm sure that  (excluding
larger birds such as raptors) many of the birds nested twice and  I'd bet that
several nested 3 times.  Even in mid and late August the woods  were bursting
at the seams with birds, mostly juvies, some very young looking.  Quite a
few adults of some species were still around as well, at a time when it  is
normally difficult to find many birds at all.
In particular, I found 4 very young Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers,  still
playing and feeding together on the 23rd of August, the last day I birded  the
Hollow. But the entire area was still filled with juvenile Sapsuckers and I
do not exaggerate when I say I think there were hundreds of them! This is a
fairly common breeder there, but I've never seen anything like that.
Along with the 4 YBSA I saw together there were 8 RT  Hummingbirds in the
same  area, and I wondered why until I saw  them chasing the Sapsuckers away
from their holes and feeding on the sap and/or  associated insects. Again,
that entire area had hummers everywhere; a species I  normally see a few
times a season there. And I think by now most realize that  this has been an
exceptional year for hummers in terms of both total numbers and  the number
still being seen at this relatively late date.
I saw and heard several obviously juvenile-looking and sounding  Canada
Warblers through most of August, as well as several other species.
I think this was an ideal breeding season in this part of the  state, with
very moderate temperatures and enough rain to keep the pools wet  that are
normally bone dry. That lead to more-than-normal insects available late  into
the summer, I'm sure. (I went  through 3 cans of repellent). I think  it
also kept the foliage fresh and thick, with leaves only now even beginning to
turn in many areas,
Also, there were no big storms with either wind or rain that  might have
harmed nests or nesting birds.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com