[CT Birds] September Totals for Lighthouse: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 6 23:48:51 EDT 2014

September totals are in, at Lighhouse:

http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=138&ryear=2014&rmonth=09&sec=prevm

September Osprey and Bald Eagle totals are through the roof.  This, in spite of careful counting of only westbound birds, to avoid ticking the large numbers of actively feeding Osprey (in New Havin Harbor) or Bald Eagle residents just to our Northwest, in Hamden.

Coops, Harriers, Merlins and Peregrines seem to be within 10 year average numbers.

As are Kestrels.  And that's the bad part.

But the truly ugly are the abysmal September totals for Sharp-shinned Hawks.  We haven't been in the 800s since 1979 when there were only 20 (twenty!) coverage hours.  Fortunately, Quaker Ridge and some other sites aren't seeing this precipitous decline in Sharpies.   Let's hope for a recovery during these peak Lighthouse days, in early October.  Watch the weather; Thursday is looking good.

Steve Mayo
Bethany