[CT Birds] gulls @ Hammo

wirthwitte at att.net wirthwitte at att.net
Sat Oct 11 23:28:32 EDT 2014

At Hammonassett at 10:30 a.m. at the East Beach parking lot, in with the Ring-billed, Herring, and 3 Great Black-Backed Gulls, one first winter Laughing Gull. No doubt about that one. Matched everything in my Nat'l Geo bird book.

Then, maybe a first winter Glaucous Gull. It was sized like the Herrings, white with pale streaking, pink legs with webbed feet, matching pink bill with black tip (1/2 -1/3rd), white head with black eyes (that soft "dove" look). I can't remember if the wing tips and tail were all white. Good looks from 10 feet away, sitting in my car in a light rain.  Anyone else see these birds?
-Winie Wirth