[CT Birds] Plover ID caution - Hammo

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 8 03:41:42 EDT 2014

From Frank Mantlik
10/8. On Monday (and Tuesday?), birders at Hammonasset Beach SP in Madison were reporting an American Golden-Plover in the parking field opposite the Swan Pond. When I arrived late Monday afternoon, there was instead a juvenile Black-bellied Plover, which typically can also show some golden color on the upper parts. But the bill is too big, the overall body size and bulk too large, the wing length too minimal, and lacking a contrasting darker cap and ear coverts that an Am Golden-Plover would exhibit.
I asked one of the birders if they obtained photos, which they had, and it confirmed that the bird was a Black-bellied Plover.

Sent from my iPhone