[CT Birds] Red- shouldered hawk at breakfast - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 9 10:25:53 EDT 2014

We noted this morning a hawk sitting on top of a blue bird box that is just above the recently cut part of the large field below our house here in Washington, CT. Thought the hawk might have been a local red-tailed hawk but the hawk looked smaller and with not as big a tail as a red-tailed. Got the bins on the bird, which was looking down on the recently cut field from the blue bird box. I also noted American crowns in the field not too concerned about the hawk on the bluebird box. The hawk then flew giving a great look at it's bands of black and white on it's tail. A lovely red-shouldered hawk. Noted in Greg Hanisek's Jan 2005 Birds by the Season that red-shouldered hawks are beginning to be a bit more common around this time of year, so assume this red-shouldered hawk may have been a migrate.

David W Babington
Washington, CT