[CT Birds] LPP Friday totals

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 19:47:46 EDT 2014

>From Dana Campbell, et. al.:
10/10 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch - a surprising 303
migrating raptors counted on a day of very light wind which went south by
11:00 a.m.!  12 raptor species included:  2 Turkey Vultures, 15 Osprey, 10
Northern Harriers, 158 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 51 Cooper's Hawks, 2
Broadwinged Hawks, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 7 Red-tailed Hawks, 11 Bald
Eagles (1 adult and the rest not),  6 American Kestrels, 11 Merlins, 7
PEREGRINE FALCONS, and a host of raptors of various kinds which were
unidentifiable due to their height of flight.  We watched a Peregrine
Falcon snatch a Blue Jay from the sky, after which he was hotly pursued by
a Merlin.  Later in the day, a Merlin carried a hapless small bird
(possible Titmouse) to the Flicker Tree perch and chowed down.
Small migrants filled the sky, many going unidentified.  We did manage to
identify 215 House Finches, 34 Finch sp., 9 Warbler sp., 8 PINE SISKINS,
270 Tree Swallows, 440 Cedar Waxwings, 3 Palm Warblers, 3 DICKCISSELS, 87
Purple Finches, 28 American Robins, 109 Canada Geese, 2 AMERICAN PIPITS,
2,225 Blue Jays, 1 Common Loon, about 40 Black-capped Chickadees including
one flock of 14, 2 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS, and the bird of the day--the
previously reported adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER which gave us all great
looks, flying in a big arc around the watch site.  In the park were lots of
Savannah Sparrows, a Hairy Woodpecker, an estimated 30 Red-bellied
Woodpeckers, a Brown Creeper, and a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.
I couldn't have done it without help from:  Bobbi Fisher, Sol Satin, Bill
Banks, Paul and Julie Roberts, Lynn James, Sulman Kahn, Steve Mayo, and
Howie Sternberg.
Sunday looks like a good bet.

The Rev. Dana L. Campbell
Priest in Charge, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Middletown CT
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"In order to see birds it is necessary to become part of the silence."
Robert Lynd