[CT Birds] SKUAS: HAS marine & seabird survey in GOM finds multiple (Great) Skuas

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 12:56:25 EDT 2014

The HAS (Hartford Audubon Society) marine and seabird survey was conducted
on October 11-12, two weeks earlier than originally planned. The results of
this survey will be correlated with COA's LIS Project and several other
projects under way. The survey was conducted on Oct 12th on the 205mile
route from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to Portland, Maine on the new luxury Nova
Star cruise ship (ferry), using a protocol we adapted from previous surveys
in the GOM and nearby waters. Everyone working on this outstanding ship was
exceptionally helpful.  Our survey team was P.Comins, R.Harrison,
N.Levenduski, F.Mantlik, W.Petersen, K.Powers (from Manomet Bird
Observatory), C.Pryor, S.Robben, T.Robben, S.Schiesser, K.VanDerAue. Here
are some highlight estimated numbers, in ad hoc sequence, before processing
data and photos from all team observers (a trip report, including numbers
by location, will be available in a week):

SKUA spp, 4-5 (one was seen better and identifiable as a Great), mostly in
association with flocks of Great Shearwaters.
Northern Fulmar, 20.
Great Shearwater, several hundred.
Sooty Shearwater, 2.
Cory's Shearwater, zero.
Manx Shearwater, zero.
Pomarine Jaeger, 2.
Parasitic Jaeger, 1.
Red Phalarope, 2.
Black-legged Kittiwake, zero.
Peregrine Falcon, following over the ship for several minutes.

Right Whale.
Minke Whale.
Fin Whale.

If you might be interested in participating in similar future surveys in
2015, please email me at robben99 AT gmail DOT com, as we plan them.
Tom Robben