[CT Birds] Milford Point Big Sit!

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 13:16:52 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Well, we had the most amazing day I've seen in 21 years of doing the Big Sit! The weather set up perfectly; a front cleared on Saturday afternoon bring N/NE winds overnight and through the morning. Birds moved at night and we had a great predown and dawn flight. Thrushes were going over calling in the morning, and songbirds and raptors were streaming through all morning. The winds shifted in the afternoon and we had a nice push off ducks, loons, and grebes in the afternoon. The tide was low in the morning and high at 3 so we saw a lot of shorebird and wader movement in and out of the marsh during the day. The grand total for the Connecticut Audubon Society's Surf Scopers was and astonishing 117 species! This eclipses our previous high of 107 set in 2010. I want to thank all my Teammates, Jim and Patrick Dugan, Nick Bonomo, Jake Musser, Tom Murray, and all the folks who lent a hand... Michael Carpenter kept us going with a well timed and appreciated coffee and donut delivery, and Tom left for a bit, only to return with a hot Pizza mid afternoon!! Wow, was the good. Keith Thomas and Carol, Daniel Field, Jackie and the gang, thanks for stopping to say hi and lending a hand, too!  George, what can I say!  Thank you, too.  Highlights included: A mid-sized owl (Long or short-eared) that flew by the tower just before dawn, an American Bittern, Pine Siskins and Common Ravens calling before dawn, Veery, Gray-cheeked, Swainon's and Hermit Thrushes, a Brown Thrasher, White-crowned, Chipping, Field, and more than 40 Nelson's Sparrows, Blue-headed and red-eyed Vireos, Pectoral and White-rumped Sanpipers, a Bonaparte's gull, early Horned and Red-necked Grebes... and the list goes one... One of the first birds we saw at first light was a Bald Eagle flying across the marsh! We thank all who pledged this year to support the Coastal Center. Thank you one an all!! (It is not too late to pledge, just visit our webpage and follow the link)  Thanks again!!!

More will be posted on our blog next week.

Frank Gallo, Milford
Connecticut Audubon Society
Coastal Center at Milford Point

Life is short. Bird often.