[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge: 32 raptors, Afternoon Hawkwatching tomorrow

Ryan MacLean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:13:49 EDT 2014

Pretty slow past couple days here at Audubon Greenwich thanks to this bizarre combo of high temperatures (near 80 today) and strong Southerly wind gusts. Today however we were treated to 5 real nice looks at Harriers including a gorgeous male. Despite the lack of hawks, today had our strongest Robin movement of the season with 408 counted.

For those that aren't aware, each Thursday we've been offering Afternoon Hawkwatching sessions at 4 PM for anyone in the area who'd like to come learn more about (and hopefully see) hawks after work or school. Our naturalist Ted Gilman will be out there with handouts, hawk skins of our common species and can answer any questions. While tomorrow calls for thunderstorms in the AM they should be cleared out in time for this week's session. We'll also be doing a screening of 'Journey of the Broad Winged Hawk' tomorrow night at 7 PM in Audubon Greenwich's Kiernan Hall. Feel free to join us if you can.

Quaker Ridge, October 15 2014
Turkey Vulture: 4
Osprey: 10
Northern Harrier: 5