[CT Birds] Dead Chickadees on Wall and Church Streets in New Haven

Eileen Becker-Dunn eileenbd at me.com
Sat Oct 18 12:32:34 EDT 2014

Yesterday at 8:30AM I parked my car at the corner of Church and Grove Streets in New Haven. A disoriented juvenile chickadee was sitting on the sidewalk. Worried that someone would step on it, I picked it up and held it for awhile. It appeared to be stunned. Looking up at a 20 story all glass building I assumed that it was a window strike. Still confused, it fluttered off in circles, perched briefly on the hood of my car and then up on a hanging planter - still trying to recover. I turned to go and nearly stepped on another adult chickadee, this one unfortunately dead. It was still warm and it's eyes were open when I picked it up. I thought this very strange and relayed the story later to a friend. She reported it to another friend who said that she found 6 dead chickadees that same morning on Wall Street - just around the corner. Chickadees are not that common in downtown New Haven so I am assuming they were migrants. Nancy Meyer-Lustman suggested wind-tunnels. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Eileen Becker-Dunn