[CT Birds] Bluff Point 10/19

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 10:40:41 EDT 2014

from Tom Auer, Nick Bonomo, Dan Field, Phil Rusch, and Glenn Williams - later joined by Tim Thompson:10/19/14 - Groton, Bluff Point -- 1-3 GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH sp., 9 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, 2 LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, 4 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, 20 PINE SISKINS, 40 PURPLE FINCHES, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, BROWN THRASHER, YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 4000+ birds, 1000+ Yellow-rumped Warblers, 6 warbler species including a Black-throated Blue, Blackpoll and 2 Nashvilles, and ~200 Hermit Thrushes.
Birds were not funneling directly through the hot corner, but instead leaving the park in a broad front.  At several points we were spread out between the road, hot corner and the other side of the chain linked gate and all reporting different species and numbers, so I think most things were undercounted.  I believe that the numbers of Hermit Thrushes and Chipping Sparrows were the highest that I have seen there.
Glenn WilliamsMystic