[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawk Watch 10/19 - 663 raptors + Cackling PUFI PISI etc

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Sun Oct 19 22:24:06 EDT 2014

We had a great time at the Boothe Park Hawk Watch in Stratford today as
Tom, Charlie, Marty, Ron, Frank and I plus more observers and visitors
put in ~7.25 hours. The TV count is the second highest for our site to
the epic day before the Snowtober event (October 28, 2011) when we set
the New England/Mid-Atlantic fall record. It would also be the second
highest for Lighthouse Point (Snowtober as well) and Quaker Ridge
meaning it truly was an exceptional and historic day! Our SS tally is a
strong second highest for us.

Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 256
Osprey 2
Bald Eagle 14
Northern Harrier 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk 286
Cooper's Hawk 15
Red-shouldered Hawk 7
Red-tailed Hawk 44
American Kestrel 13
Merlin 10
Unknown Falcon 4
Unknown Raptor 6
Total: 663

Southbound migrants included:
CACKLING GOOSE 4 - unmistakable, seen by multiple observers directly
overhead with all four together mixed in with CANG. They broke off at
one point to join another group of nearby CANG.
Canada Goose 719
Double-crested Cormorant 245
Great Blue Heron 2
Tree Swallow 41