[CT Birds] The Feathered edge: A lecture series on current scientific trends.

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 20:31:08 EDT 2014

Hi Folks,

I want to invite everyone to the first of our three-part fall lecture series, The Feathered edge: A lecture series on current scientific trends. The talks will be at the Connecticut Audubon Society's Coastal Center at Milford Point. Our first lecturer, Jacob Musser, is well known to many of you, and as you may also know, he's a tremendous speaker. I encourage everyone to stop by. Jake's work on the evolution of feathers is fascinating. Please RSVP to Louise Crocco, our office manager, at 203-878-7440. I look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.

Frank Gallo, Milford

The Feathered Edge: A lecture series on current scientifictrends
“Feathers Make the Bird, but What Makes the Feather?”

Sunday, October 26, 2:30 p.m.
Lecturer: Jacob Musser, Yale University,Ph.D. student in Ornithology

Feathers are integral to the lives of birds, endowing themwith the capacity for flight, precise control over body temperature, and ashowy plumage for use in displays of aggression and affection.  But where do feathers come from and how didthey evolve their impressive ability to vary in size and shape?  In this talk, Jacob Musser, Yale University,Ph.D. student in ornithology, will discuss how his recent investigations on thegenetic instructions for growing feathers have shed new light on their earlyevolution, and how this research has led him from the laboratory to Emu farmsand Alligator-filled swamps in Louisiana.

Please RSVP for The Feathered Edge lecture series or an individuallecture, by contacting our office manager, Louise Crocco, at 203-878-7440 x502. To see the complete list of lectures, please visit our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org and click on the Coastal Center's page.

Fee: $5 suggested donation (free for CAS members, $3seniors)

Frank Gallo
Connecticut Audubon Society
Coastal Center at Milford Point
1 Milford Point Road