[CT Birds] Stratford Short-eared Owls

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 21:48:49 EDT 2014

My favorite Short-eared Owl:

About a decade ago I was at Lighthouse Point with Neil Curry. It was a slow Oct (maybe even Nov day) and Neil told me was going to leave. He was going to Hammo to look for a Short-eared Owl. We were doing the watch from the lower parking lot. As Neil pulled away I stepped across the road and took one step into the grassy area. Boom! I almost stepped on the S-e Owl, which circled up lazily as I watch Neil's taillights disappear onto Lighthouse Road.
No cell phones at the time. I watched it circle up and drift SW as Neil continued on his way.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury