[CT Birds] 18 Wood Ducks at A.W. Stanley this morning!

Don Crockett doncrockett63 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 09:18:28 EDT 2014

I swung by the lower pond of A.W. Stanley Park in New Britain this
morning on my way to the commuter lot across from Target and counted 18
Wood Ducks as they flushed from the northeast corner near the traprock
ridge! Wow! That's the most I've ever counted at A.W. I scanned the pond
naked eye from the dock when I first got to the pond and didn't see
anything until I was looking at that corner. Just as my gaze approached
the corner 7 or so Wood Ducks dropped into the water coming from the
direction of the traprock ridge. I'm guessing they were looking for acorns
on land under the oaks directly in front of the ridge and the other
ducks' aggitation at seeing me caused them to fly back to the pond. Just a
guess based on previously observed behavior. When I got over to that corner
at the opening in front of the traprock ridge all I saw was Mallards until
Wood Ducks started flying out from underneath the brush cover over the edge
of the pond. And they kept coming out in small groups until I had counted a
total of 18! Very cool! I saw of the small flocks fly out the north end of
the pond. Some may have stuck around though.

                                          Don

--
Don Crockett
Great Blue Media Works, Owner - http://greatblue.com