[CT Birds] Purple Finches, Coventry yard.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 10:11:34 EDT 2014

This is a big year for migrating Purple Finches. There have  been many
local reports of them on feeders and flocks of them are migrating  through
Lighthouse Point in New Haven, hundreds per day. Yesterday I had my  first ever
in my yard, a female, and today 2 adult males and what looked to be  an
immature male, about 2 minutes after I refilled my empty feeder.
Seems to be an early feeding frenzy at the feeders this year  too, although
I don't know why, certainly not the weather. I have Titmice taking  turns
at my suet feeders, emptying them in a day or two, and sometimes not  moving
aside even for the woodpeckers. I don't remember Titmice even using the
suet feeders consistently before. I'd say it's my yummy special mix, but I made
 and used part of this batch last year.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com