[CT Birds] Purple Finches: Interesting Ebird sightings map and Finch forecast

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 16:14:03 EDT 2014

_eBird  Range Map--Purple Finch_
_10,000 Birds  | 2014-2015 Winter Finch Forecast_
>From the Ebird sightings it is obvious that the northeastern  states are
being overrun with Purple Finches. The forecast does not exactly  predict
this, but it says that the spruce cone crop is poor in the eastern  provinces of
Canada and northeastern US states, which would certainly lead to  a heavy
The map shows that so far the birds have not gone farther  south than
Washington DC in any numbers.
I'd like to think some will stay around here, but not too  many or I'll be
having BOSS delivered to me by the truckload.  I've been  looking at spruce
trees in the area and I see relatively few and very small  cones on them, so
this may not  be the area they're looking for  though. Time will tell.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com