[CT Birds] Fwd: Purple Finches: Interesting Ebird sightings map, etc. links that work

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 16:28:11 EDT 2014

>From the Ebird sightings it is obvious that the  northeastern states are
being overrun with Purple Finches. The forecast does  not exactly predict
this, but it says that the spruce cone crop is poor in  the eastern provinces of
Canada and northeastern US states, which would  certainly lead to a heavy
The map shows that so far the birds have not gone farther  south than
Washington DC in any numbers.
I'd like to think some will stay around here, but I've been  looking at
spruce trees in the area and I see relatively few and very small  cones on
them. Time will tell.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com