[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities during November

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 14:53:27 EDT 2014

Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during
November:

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, November 13, 2014 — Mark Seth Lender.  Bird Whispering: The
True Relationship of Humans and Wildlife.  Whitney Center Cultural
Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the
public. Notice:  Bird Book Tag Sale at the meeting.  While you are
watching birds, the birds are very likely watching you. We often
misapprehend our relationship with wildlife, ignoring warnings,
mistaking curiosity for aggression, seeing sameness when there is
difference, difference when confronted with sameness. Above all, we
are quick to assume that we are the species in control when the
opposite is just as likely to be true. Mark Seth Lender, who has
spent decades watching—and being watched by—birds and other wildlife,
will share his observations, writing, and photographs of birds and
other animals. Mark is a producer, essayist, and photographer for
Living on Earth, Public Radio’s program about wildlife and the
environment. He presents his own material on air, and has covered
stories on animals of all kinds from around the world. A CT resident,
he is the author of Salt Marsh Diary, A Year on the Connecticut
Shore, and he has a column in Shoreline Times.. Social half-hour at
7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information: 203-230-1697 or
www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

NHBC 22nd Annual Winter Feeder Survey.  November 1, 2014 through
March 31, 2015
This is a yearly census to determine the number and frequency of
birds visiting feeders in the greater New Haven area.  You are
invited to watch and record the activity at your feeder at least once
a week for the entire time period.  Contact Peter Vitali:
203.288.0621, or vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net for more information.

Fargeorge Wildlife Preserve, Quinnipiac River, New Haven, CT.
Saturday, Nov 1, 2014, 8:00 a.m.  Free and open to the public.  This
is a joint trip with the New Haven Land Trust. Join our past
president on the Trust’s property along the Quinnipiac River. With
its varied habitat, this location is a good place to see raptors,
shorebirds, and waterfowl. Sightings here have included Snow Goose,
Bald Eagle, and American Woodcock. Directions: Go south on Quinnipiac
Ave. from Rte. 80. Turn right just past the RR overpass and go
through the gate onto the property.  Leader: Mike Horn: 203-288-1891
or mfhorn at att.net.

First Wednesday Walk : Westport Hot Spots, Westport.  Wednesday,
November 5, 2014, 8:00 a.m. Free and open to the public. We’ll visit
Compo Beach, Sherwood Mill Pond Preserve, Burying Hill Beach, and the
CT Audubon Tree Farm, all excellent birding locations.  We’ll look
for gulls, waterfowl, sparrows, and late fall migrants. Meet at the
I-95 Exit 18 Commuter lot. From there we’ll carpool to each
location.  Leader: Tina Green: 203-247-2660 or
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Lake Chamberlain & Cooper and Calabresi Farms, Bethany.  Saturday,
November 15, 2014, 7:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Join us on
this fall walk to see what can be found at these picturesque
locations.  Lake Chamberlain, a Regional Water Authority property,
has an active bluebird population, many woodpeckers, and a number of
waterfowl that visit the lake before heading further south when the
lake freezes over. The walk at Lake Chamberlain is relatively easy.
After birding the RWA property, we will visit the adjoining Cooper
and Calabresi Farms.  Forty years ago,  the  families of Peter
Cooper, a noted New Haven environmental lawyer, and Guido Calabresi,
a federal judge and past dean of the Yale Law School, purchased a 100-
acre farm near Lake Chamberlain. The farm fields and woods have been
maintained, providing habitat for a variety of woodland, edge, and
grassland species.  We will enter and bird in the extensive lower
areas, then head up the hillside for more birding and spectacular
views for miles and miles around.  Hiking to the top field may be
strenuous for some. People who decide that the climb might be too
difficult can choose to stay by the lake or in the lower fields.
Meet at the parking lot on Sperry Rd. Leader: Patrick Leahy:
203-314-0566 or ptjleahy at yahoo.com.

Sherwood Island State Park, Westport.  Saturday, November 22, 2014,
8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Spend some time at one of
Fairfield County's top-notch birding locations.  We will look for a
wide range of species from waterfowl to finches and everything in
between. Meet at  the park entrance. Leader: Chris Loscalzo,
203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Bombay Hook NWR, Leipsic, Delaware.  Eastern Neck Island NWR, Rock
Hall, MD .  Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 6:25 am.  Birding and
Photography - Snow Geese and Tundra Swans.  We enter Bombay Hook’s
main gate at 6:25 am SHARP and tour the many ponds, pools and fields
where we may see and photograph as many as 100,000 Snow Geese and
many other fall migrants, from raptors to shorebirds. We will also
visit other spots in the area including Eastern Neck Island NWR where
we’ll  see Tundra Swans. There are a variety of motels and B&Bs in
the area. For suggestions about accommodations and other travel
details, contact the trip leaders. Directions: To get to Bombay Hook
from the south end of Smyrna, go north on US 13 to the Smyrna-Leipsic
Road. Take it east for about 5 miles until it joins Rte. 9. Go south
about 100 yards to Whitehall Neck Rd. A brown National Wildlife
Refuge sign there points down Whitehall Neck Rd. Proceed east down
the road through the refuge entrance gate to the headquarters
building where we will meet. Leaders: Mike and Pat Horn 203-288-1891
or mfhorn at att.net.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director