[CT Birds] Snowy Owl "echo flight"?

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 30 21:13:40 EDT 2014

Well, it's owl season.  But I wasn't thinking of Snowies -- not yet at least.

Barred Owls should be calling now.  And I've had a couple precious chances to re-visit my old October Saw-whet haunts.  'Absolutely no luck so far.  There's a move in October, and apparently another in winter.  As for the winter Saw-whet residents, Ed Shove used to say they'll stay until about St. Patrick's Day.

But yesterday, the dog forced me to go out a bit early.  It was warm and a bit foggy.   Right at dawn, in northern Bethany, I was able to walk right up to a wonderful Bubo serenade in a mixed conifer grove.  Two Great-Horned Owls called for 5-8 minutes, as if they were featured in that Peterson's audio tape.  I enjoyed one of the best morning "starts" of the year.

Steve Mayo
Bethany