[CT Birds] Inter-species House Finch disease

Susanne Shrader birdgirrl at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 16:59:32 EDT 2014

I have had many House Finches suffering from House Finch Disease in the past three months. Today I was horrified to see the same symptoms in two other feeder species.  The poor Purple Finch, whether adult female or juvenile, was sitting listlessly at the feeder and completely fearless, as were the ill House Finches. My face was nearly 2 feet away and it looked at me without any seeming fear. Finally after I was reaching to change the feeder, it flew away with the same  uncoordinated floppy flight as I've seen the House Finches do. Unfortunately, at the same time there was a Titmouse with  covered over crusted eyes as I've also seen in the House Finches. Does anybody  know that HFD has spread? Should I report this to DEEP?

Susanne Shrader
birdgirrl at comcast.net