[CT Birds] Grouse in CT - promise my last word...

Shaun Martin birdj510 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 22:49:46 EDT 2014

Once again, I believe hunting pressure is being blamed or made the reason
for lack of numbers without merit. I wonder that on the counts that were
previously mentioned, how many of those areas were actually huntable pieces
of land. That would be an interesting comparison.

It is nice to think, if hunting stopped, the birds would be more prevalent,
but that's not the case. There are so many other limiting factors. CT's
wildlife managers most certainly look at Grouse population dynamics to
determine bag limits. Look up Compensatory Mortality and it will show why
hunting is at the bottom of the list for population decline. Based on the
science, any bird potentially harvested would be killed off by another
variable during a hunting ban.
Stopping hunting won't SAVE the few Grouse we have left. Habitat management
and protection would be more along those lines. Look at the whole picture,
use Wildlife Management techniques. It's easy to blame hunting, but its
more productive to blame the actual reasons and try to turn the decline
around that way.

Shaun Martin
 Donna Rose sent me an interesting bit on Grouse in CT. see below - Thanks
Donna.

 I will read this and I do believe the State is doing research on Grouse.
But - Now-while they are scarce and even depleted in many areas, habitat is
crucial, but first let's SAVE the birds we now have so they can occupy the
new habitat the State is making! It's all about getting a healthy
population started once again, not destroying the few birds we now have
that are left. I say to the - State of Connecticut . . .

 Keep making new habitat, that is a good thing. but FIRST - stop hunting
the few Grouse that we have left so when the habitat is there, they can
colonies it and become a healthy population once more! Why is this just so
hard for the State to accept? A few Grouse hunters might cry for awhile,
but by doing so, in the future they might even be able to find 8 Grouse a
season to shoot! Let's benefit the hunters, the bird watchers and the State
in making this a priority, and we then can all be happy once again,
especially the Grouse!

ps - and to help with research for the State. Ruffed Grouse are doing
poorly in your State! Ask anyone. Yes-in a few areas they might be doing
fair. I would agree with some Hartland areas, but they are few or gone all
together in many more historical areas where they once were present in good
numbers. There, now you don't need more research while the population is so
poor and dwindeling - it is poor! Please cut the hunting of Grouse till
their numbers are healthy once again.
Please?

Paul Carrier