[CT Birds] The Bridgeport yellow-bellied Kingbird

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 08:04:22 EDT 2014

As Tina mentioned, the head was a very pale shade of gray. It did not match
the much darker shad of gray which Cassin's Kingbird is supposed to show (
I have no personal experience with Cassin's) The head may look darker in
photos which have been heavily cropped and otherwise edited, but in "real
life" the gray was very pale toned. Also, the gray area on the head was not
as extensive as it appears in Sibley's illustration of Cassin's.

The bill size on the Bridgeport bird was too small to have been that of
either Tropical or Couch's Kingbird. I remember that issue very well from
the time that Tropical Kingbird showed up at Lighthouse Point many years
ago. That bird was eventually identified by voice.

Tom Murray also heard the bird call.  So, if there are further doubts about
the bird's identity, maybe Tom could compare the call to that of Cassin's.
Perhaps he has already done that.

Charlie Barnard Jr.