[CT Birds] Finch movement

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 16:00:41 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Purple Finches and Pine Siskins have been pouring through the state in very
good numbers over the past month. The report of a probable White-winged
Crossbill at a feeder in Guilford and a report of a Common Redpoll at a
feeder in Hebron are interesting. I took a quick look at eBird maps and
found that a few Common Redpolls have been reported from many locations
along the US/Canada border in recent days. Evening Grosbeaks also appear to
be making a push into northern New York and New England. Crossbills of
either species have no detectable movement underway at the moment.

There is no guarantee that grosbeaks or redpolls will continue to push
southward to our latitude, but CT birders should be on the lookout for
these two species in particular over the next couple of months. Something
to keep an eye out for.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT