[CT Birds] Snowy Owl "echo flight"?

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 15:08:33 EDT 2014

In the winter immediately following a major irruption of Snowy Owls south
of their normal wintering range, a smaller "echo flight" sometimes occurs,
presumably reflecting a continuing combination of an above average owl
population and/or food shortage relative to the number of owls around.

In just the past few days there have been a couple early reports of newly
arrived Snowy Owls to our north (Maine and Vermont, and I believe more
north of the border as well). This may be the beginning of such an "echo
flight" for the coming fall/winter.

Last year the owls did not reach us until mid-late November, but in some
years the first birds in CT are even earlier. There are a few very late Oct
records for CT. We had one migrating through Lighthouse Point on Nov 1,

We'll see what develops this far south, if anything.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT