[CT Birds] Our State should be ashamed of itself!!!

David F Provencher (Generation - 4) david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Oct 31 12:33:51 EDT 2014

Paul, it might be more productive to also push the state to manage habitat for Ruffed Grouse. Both Ruffed Grouse and Northern Bobwhite have little of their habitat needs met in CT these days. It is worse for Bobwhite, whose needs are more complex (and thus the species is no longer a viable breeder in CT despite voluminous releases), but Ruffed Grouse habitat needs are fairly complex as well, and there isn't much proper habitat in CT now. Without proper productive habitat, the population is unlikely to increase even without hunting pressure. Not to mention overall biodiversity health in CT getting a boost from habitat management for Grouse.

Now getting the state to manage habitat is not going to be easy due to the financial resources needed and the state's lack of political will to make environmental issues a high financial priority. We would actually be more likely to influence the state in this if we were to do so in combination with hunters, who have had some historical success in raising funds and awareness on issues such as these within CT and without.

Dave Provencher

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect.  The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it.  Thank you.